What is Manic Depression and how is it Treated?
Manic depression is another word for bipolar disorder. This disorder causes serious changes in a patient’s mood, energy, way of thinking, and even behavior. Manic depression is a very serious problem that is known to cause sleeplessness, dilutions, hallucinations and psychosis.
The most common bipolar symptoms and signs are; lack of sleep, loss of appetite, feeling of self-pity, helplessness and worthlessness, insomnia, restlessness, fatigue and suicide attempts.
Treatment Process for Manic Depression
The shift of moods with a manic depression patient tends to gradually change from mild to extreme episodes. This is a condition that requires immediate treatment and to get the best help for bipolar disorder, you should read on.
- Combining a good diet with the proper medication is part of the treatment process. However, before you take any medication, talk to your doctor and see what works best for you. Some medications that are good for maniac depression contain components of lithium, Lamotrigine, Olanzapine and Sodium Valproate.
- Some stages of depression do not require medication. And in such cases, patients need a good diet, a good rest and mood stabilizers to calm them down.
- Psychological treatments like counseling and therapy are also part of the treatment process. Psycho-education and mood monitoring also play a big part in treating patients with depression.
- Other than seeking help from others, self-treatment also contributes towards your overall wellbeing. For successful self-treatment, you need to avoid stressful situations, be active in regular activities, do regular exercises, get enough sleep, and keep friends and family members close.
- Taking good care of yourself also involves eating healthy and drinking lots of fluids. Cutting down on caffeine seems to work miracles.
The benefits of treating manic depression
- A stable blood pressure
- A more healthy and stress-free life
- Increased productivity and creativity
- Increased energy levels
- Increased confidence
- Better sleep